Group Conversation Sessions
In addition to individual tutoring sessions, speaking fellows also offer group conversation sessions. These conversation practice sessions will last approximately one hour and are designed to help participants grow more comfortable speaking in English in a variety of situations.
Casual conversation practice sessions each have a pre-set topic or theme so that participants can do any preparation ahead of time that they choose, though advanced preparation is not required. While two speaking fellows will be there to facilitate, the students will be the primary contributors to the conversation. The conversation may move away from the pre-set theme at some point: that's just meant to get the ball rolling. Group conversation sessions are open to ten students and require sign-up ahead of time.
We will offer two casual conversation practice sessions this semester:
- Tuesday 3/5 at 7:00 PM, Theme: Things to do in Rochester: places to visit, places to eat, outdoor activities, fun things to do on campus and in town (Location TBD)
- Wednesday 4/10 at 8:00 PM, Theme: Movies and TV: What do you like to watch? What kinds of movies do you like? What tv shows are you into? Are you a binge-watcher or a dedicated weekly viewer? (Location TBD)
Professional conversation sessions are set up as mock networking events, where students will practice talking about themselves, their academic interests, and their future plans in a pretend-professional setting. These sessions are open to ten students and require sign-up ahead of time.
We will offer three professional networking workshops this semester:
- Monday 3/4 at 7:00 PM in Rush Rhees Library G121B
- Tuesday 3/26 at 7:00 PM in Rush Rhees Library G121B
- Wednesday 4/24 at 7:00 PM in Rush Rhees Library G121B
Signing Up for a Session
Sign up for one of these sessions here. Space will be limited to ten students per session.
As a reminder, the speaking fellows also offer individual conversation practice sessions with UR students during their open hours. Students can choose from casual, academic, and professional conversation practice. For more information on our hours and locations, or to book an individual appointment, see our tutoring schedule.
The Language Center also offers regular conversation hours in several languages. For details please visit this website.