Substitute a University Course to Fulfill the Primary Writing Requirement
Most students satisfy the primary writing requirement by taking WRT 105: Reasoning and Writing in the College. If you believe you are already a proficient college-level writer and you have not already attempted to take WRT 105, you may petition to satisfy the primary writing requirement (PWR) with a University of Rochester course other than WRT 105.
To fulfill the PWR in a timely manner, we encourage you to petition by the end of your first year of matriculation. You may even file a substitution petition prior to your first semester. Students who petition later jeopardize their ability to complete academic program requirements on schedule.
- Read “What Constitutes a Successful Substitution Petition” to increase the likelihood of successfully petitioning for a course substitution.
- Submit a substitution petition by logging in with your NetID username and password. You must use one of these supported web browsers:
- Chrome 27.x or higher version
- Safari 6.1x or higher version
- Internet Explorer 10 or higher version
- For technical help, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions about the substitution or transfer petitioning process? Contact the placement coordinator at email@example.com.