Writing, Speaking,
and Argument Program


Transfer Forms

Use a Transfer Course to Fulfill the Primary Writing Requirement

You may petition only once, and should do so by the end of your first semester and before enrolling in WRT 105. Receiving transfer credits for a writing course does not on its own satisfy the primary writing requirement.

To satisfy the requirement, you must complete the petition, and it must be approved by the Writing, Speaking and Argument Program. Your petition will be accepted or denied based on whether the course meets the criteria for equivalency to WRT 105 (or its equivalents). If the course does not meet these criteria, we may request additional writing samples that demonstrate your competency in the requisite writing skills.

Next steps:

  1. Read “What Constitutes a Successful Transfer Petition” to increase the likelihood of successfully petitioning for a course substitution.
  2. Answer the following: Is the course you are considering submitting to fulfill the primary writing requirement a college course taken on a college campus, and designed for and primarily attended by college students?
    1. If yes, proceed to step 3.
    2. If no, then the course you want to submit won’t fulfill the primary writing requirement. Courses taken through a high school or designed for high school students may not be used to satisfy the primary writing requirement.
  3. Submit a transfer petition by logging in with your NetID username and password. You must use one of these supported web browsers
    • Chrome 27.x or higher version
    • Safari 6.1x or higher version
    • Internet Explorer 10 or higher version
  4. For technical help, email wsap@ur.rochester.edu.
What Constitutes a Successful Transfer Petition

Successful transfer petitions identify courses that largely resemble the “exit criteria” of our WRT 105/105E courses (or its variations).

We generally approve petitions with syllabi from courses that:

  • Are writing-intensive (i.e., writing instruction and be designed around principles and strategies for developing effective academic essays)
  • Focus on academic analytical/argumentative writing
  • Center on the writing process and include drafting, peer response, self-assessment, instructor feedback, and revision
  • Include a significant argumentative research paper

The most common reasons for transfer petitions not being accepted include the following:

  • The course may be writing-intensive, but is largely a content course that doesn’t provide writing instruction or make writing a significant topic of discussion
  • There is not enough writing in the course
  • The course foregrounds non-academic and/or non-argumentative writing (i.e., a class on creative writing, or a class that focuses on journalistic or non-academic genres of writing)
  • The course does not include a writing process
  • The course does not include a research paper

Please also note:

You must have received a grade of B or higher in the course that satisfies the writing requirement at your previous institution.

Only courses from institutions in English-speaking countries will be accepted.

The College requires that the course must have been taken prior to matriculating at the University of Rochester.

Courses taken in high school for college credit and advanced high school courses (AP, Honors) cannot be used to waive the primary writing requirement.

Submit a transfer petition.


Questions about the substitution or transfer petitioning process? Contact the placement coordinator at writingplacement@ur.rochester.edu