Group Conversation Sessions
In addition to individual tutoring sessions, speaking fellows also offer group conversation sessions. These conversation practice sessions will last approximately one hour and are designed to help participants grow more comfortable speaking in English in a variety of situations. Each session has a pre-set topic or theme so that participants can do any preparation ahead of time that they choose, though advanced preparation is not required. While two speaking fellows will be there to facilitate, the students will be the primary contributors to the conversation. Group conversation sessions are open to ten students and require sign-up ahead of time. Spring sessions will be available soon.
All sessions are held from 2 to 3 pm in Rush Rhees Library G-121B
Casual conversation sessions have themes so that everyone can feel prepared to contribute something, while Professional conversation sessions are set up as mock networking events, where students will practice talking about themselves, their academic interests, and their future plans in a pretend-professional setting.
- 3/9: Casual conversation, Theme: Things to do in Rochester: places to visit, places to eat, outdoor activities, fun things to do on campus and in town
- 3/23: Professional conversation, mock networking event
- 3/30: Casual conversation, Theme: Movies and TV: What do you like to watch? What kinds of movies do you like? What tv shows are you into? Are you a binge-watcher or a dedicated weekly viewer?
- 4/6: Professional conversation, mock networking event
- 4/13: Casual conversation, Theme: Cultural Traditions: What holidays do you celebrate and how? What kinds of cultural traditions did you grow up with? What new traditions are you encountering now?
- 4/20: Professional conversation, mock networking event
- 4/26: Causal conversation, Theme: Plans for the Summer: What are you hoping to do this summer? Are you traveling anywhere? Taking any summer classes? Learning something new? Working somewhere?
Signing Up for a Session
Sign up for one of these sessions here. Space will be limited to ten students per session.
As a reminder, the speaking fellows also offer individual conversation practice sessions with UR students during their open hours. Students can choose from casual, academic, and professional conversation practice. For more information on our hours and locations, or to book an individual appointment, see our tutoring schedule.