Writing Workshop Leader
The writing workshop program offers modular writing instruction packages that integrate into writing-intensive and upper-level writing courses in all disciplines. These modules include one or more interactive workshops on a writing skill (e.g.: narrowing a research question, finding a thesis, organization, cohesion, etc.) followed by a peer review.
Workshop leaders lead pre-prepared workshops on a variety of writing skill topics and/or work with writing fellows to design and facilitate in-person peer-review processes.
- Read preparatory training materials and attend a 1.5 hour training session where we read and discuss these materials.
- Tailor and deliver pre-prepared workshops on writing topics.
- Work with writing fellows to design facilitated peer reviews and support them in facilitation, if necessary.
- Ensure that students fill out evaluation forms and (if paper forms are used) deliver completed forms to the writing workshop coordinator.
- Follow up with the writing workshop coordinator to discuss how the workshop went, convey any suggestions from the professor, and make suggestions for next year.
- Training for the F2014-S2015 year will take place during the beginning of September; workshop and peer review activities occur throughout each semester. The time commitment is variable and negotiable, depending on your schedule and the number of workshops needed.
A BA/BS is required. Experience with scientific or technical writing is preferred, but not required.
Workshop leaders are paid $20 an hour (training and preparation time included).
Contact Katherine Schaefer at firstname.lastname@example.org, by August 31. Please include a CV or resume, and a statement of interest that identifies the experiences and/or abilities that make you a good fit for this position, as well as a list of academic areas that you feel most comfortable supporting. A sample of writing (10-15 pages, on any academic topic) may be required later.
Please feel free to contact Katherine Schaefer with any questions before applying.