Writing Placement Advisor
Job responsibilities will include the following:
- Attending training sessions to become familiar with the self-informed writing placement survey and learning to evaluate student writing samples, as well as advising students on selecting WRT 105, WRT 105E, or WRT 105A/B.
- Handling incoming phone calls from students who have questions about placement, or about WRT105, WRT 105E, or WRT 105A/B.
- Retrieving, reading, and commenting on students' writing samples. Some students will submit a timed writing sample via Blackboard as part of the self-informed writing placement survey.
- Contacting, via telephone, skype, or e-mail, students who have completed the sample to advise them about their writing class options.
- Answer in-person questions students might have regarding writing course options or other primary writing requirement-related issues.
- Assisting with the keeping of records for students participating in the placement survey.
The pay is $18/hour, and candidates will be chosen based, in part, on their availability for all aspects of the process. A strong preference will be given to applicants with prior experience teaching WRT 105, WRT 105E, and/or WRT 105A/B. Candidates who are hired will be guaranteed at least 9 hours per week from 8/6-8/24, with the possibility of more hours based on demand.
If you're interested in this position, please submit applications via email to: Matthew Bayne (email@example.com), Placement Coordinator, no later than March 30th.
Please include a brief letter of interest detailing what you would bring to the position, as well as an updated C.V.
We expect to hire 2-3 Placement Advisors.
If you are interested in learning more about this position, please consider contacting the Placement Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org, to schedule an appointment to discuss the position in greater depth.
The University of Rochester, an Equal Opportunity Employer, has a strong commitment to diversity and actively encourages applications from candidates from groups underrepresented in higher education.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled