The Writing and Speaking Center is currently hiring University of Rochester graduate students to become writing consultants. Consultants are graduate students from a variety of disciplines who offer writing tutoring to undergraduate and graduate student writers. The deadline to apply is Friday, September 15 at 5pm. Application review begins immediately.
Consultants offer 50 minute tutoring appointments; each tutor typically works between four and eight hours per week. Consultants’ tutoring hours are offered Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m., from September through May.
Pay for this position starts at $19/hour and will be paid via a stipend with an estimated pay range between $1,000 - $1,600 for the Fall semester; dependent on consultant availability and number of hours worked per week.
To apply, please email the following materials to WSAP at email@example.com.
- Personal information: student ID number, graduate department or program, and your local address and phone number
- Cover letter: please explain why you would like to become a writing consultant and what relevant skills and experience you would bring to the position
- A sample of your academic writing (approximately 10-15 pages)
If you are applying for the GWP please indicate in your letter.
GWP position responsibilities follow:
- Consulting: The GWP tutor offers writing tutoring to graduate student writers through the Writing and Speaking Center. Consultants offer 50 minute tutoring appointments. Each tutor typically works between two and four hours per week. Consultants’ tutoring hours are offered Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. GWP offers tutoring during the academic year as well as during the summer.
- Event support: The GWP tutor assists at GWP workshops and writing boot camps, and visit writing group sessions (as needed).
- Workshops: The GWP typically offers 3-4 workshops per semester; depending on need, consultants might be expected to interact with small groups of writers, lead small-group peer review, and/or work with individual writers in a tutoring-like setting. Workshops are held September-May.
- Writing boot camps: The GWP typically offers 3-4 boot camps per academic year and 3 boot camps in the summer. Boot camps meet for several consecutive days for 3-5 hours. Consultants assist with tutoring.
- Writing groups: Occasionally, tutors might be needed to visit a writing group in order to facilitate a writing session, troubleshoot a writing problem or challenge, or help the group establish ground rules and goals. Writing groups meet year-round.
For more information about the Writing and Speaking Center and becoming a writing consultant, please email Stefanie Sydelnik at firstname.lastname@example.org.