Head Instructor for ECO Writing
*STRONG INTERNAL CANDIDATE*
Period of Instruction
July 1, 2018 - August 15, 2018
Previous experience teaching and/or tutoring ECO writing and WRT 105E at the University of Rochester. In accordance with the goals of the ECO program, priority is given to applicants who will be teaching and/or tutoring in the Writing, Speaking, and Argument Program (WSAP) in the fall semester.
ECO writing course design and planning responsibilities:
- Coordinate and meet with director and associate director of the WSAP and the ECO writing instructors to develop the ECO writing course.
- Work with other ECO staff in assessing students’ needs, strengths, and weaknesses, and, after reviewing student files, place students in course sections and create rosters.
- Work with ECO staff to reserve classrooms.
- Participate in ECO planning and orientation sessions.
- Work with ECO writing instructional staff to develop shared course syllabus and assignments and coordinate with ECO staff and Pam Harvey to create Blackboard courses.
ECO writing instructor duties responsibilities:
- Offer instruction during designated class hours (eleven class sessions per section).
- Offer at least 8-16 hours of writing tutoring per section.
- Maintain and submit appropriate records of students’ performance including attendance, participation, and grades as well as evaluative notes.
- Confer with each student about his or her progress.
- Refer students to support services, including Career Center, CETL, OMSA, CCAS, etc., as appropriate.
- Meet with each of your students individually to discuss fall writing course placement.
Coordinating ECO writing program and writing center tutoring and writing placement responsibilities:
- Attend all ECO staff meetings (one general staff meeting per week) and report out about the writing course and usage of tutoring services.
- Hold and run one ECO writing staff meeting per week during the program and provide support and guidance for the ECO writing staff, addressing any questions or issues that may arise.
- Manage Writing Center tutoring for ECO students: create the schedule, conduct necessary training with writing fellows and consultants, create and manage the schedule and tutoring records, address questions and issues that arise in relationship to tutoring, and communicate with larger ECO staff about the writing tutoring resources.
- Coordinate the ECO Writing Placement process: share instructions and guidelines about placement with instructors, distribute and collect appropriate forms and notes, coordinate with WSAP office staff to have students registered, confer with ECO staff about any problems/holds that are encountered when trying to register students.
Application review will begin on February 23rd and continue until position is filled.
Please email the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- CV (include any experience using technology in a writing classroom)
- A brief statement: in one to two pages, please explain your teaching philosophy and what you believe you can contribute to the ECO program, as well as why you believe you are well-suited for the head instructor role
- Teaching evaluations: please submit at least one full set of evaluations from previous teaching experiences in the WSAP
- A recommendation from someone who has observed your teaching
Please contact Stefanie Sydelnik.
The University of Rochester, an Equal Opportunity Employer, has a strong commitment to diversity and actively encourages applications from candidates from groups underrepresented in higher education.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled